Sunday, February 6, 2011

Strawberry Trifle with Coconut Cream

I adore Trifle, and wanted to create individual ones for my husband and myself as a special treat. What I did create was simple and simply delicious, but you could certainly add some rice whip cream to the top, additional berries, or any combination of fruit. My favorite trifle I made years ago before going vegan included strawberries, blueberries, jarred white pears, black berries, and raspberries. It was delicious, but I really love the simplicity of this little trifle, and come on....it just looks so lovely, who could possibly resist indulging themselves. Now...if I was making Trifle for a crowd, I would probably use a combination of fruit, swirl rice whip on top and pile it all in my lovely Trifle bowl. Since it was just my husband and myself, I used the ingredients I had on hand, and kept it simple. I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I have used a couple of different brands of coconut milk to make the whip, but my absolute favorite and the one I believe makes the best whip is Thai Kitchen. I purchase it in the Asian Section of any standard grocery store. Also...I've learned from experience that if you make the coconut cream ahead of time and refrigerate, your cream will be firmer. Enjoy!


 INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 can 13.5 oz coconut milk (empty into a glass or metal bowl, cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight)                                                          
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar or to taste
  • 1 - 4 tablespoon coconut flour or tapioca flour (add 1 tablespoon at a time)
  • 1 tablespoon extract of your choice, I like vanilla and coconut
  • Vegan pound cake
  • 1 pint organic Strawberries
  • 1/3 cup strawberry preserves
  • 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
DIRECTIONS:
Remove chilled coconut milk from the fridge. 
  
Beat the thick coconut cream in the chilled bowl with a hand/stand mixer until thick and fluffy. 

Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and coconut or tapioca flour, 1 or 2 Tbsp at a time, testing for flavor and consistency.

For flavored whipped cream, add some cinnamon, instant coffee, or cocoa powder. Also change up the extract and make it your own. 

Using a rubber spatula, transfer the coconut cream to a covered storage container, and refrigerate until needed.

Slice your strawberries and place in bowl. Add agave nectar, stevia, or sugar to sweeten, if necessary.

Slice your pound cake into 4 - 1/2" slices. Brush each slice with Grand Marnier (both sides), then spread with strawberry preserves. Cut into bite size cubes. 

In parfait glasses, start layering your ingredients...pound cake, strawberries, coconut cream, until glasses are filled. Decorate with a beautifully sliced strawberry. Enjoy!






7 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the Grand Marnier! Decadent! Looks delish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aimee....it is super delish, and such a simple and wonderful little treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you buy the vegan poundcake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if you can buy it, but here's a recipe for some delicious pound cake. Enjoy! http://www.grouprecipes.com/45408/orange-you-glad-its-vegan-pound-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've changed the order of ingredients and how they are put together just a little, increased the amount of extracts and increased the baking time by 5 minutes. But, otherwise the recipe is virtually unchanged.

    1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (I like Earth Balance)
    1 1/2 cups granulated or raw sugar (I use granulated)
    6 ounces (one half of a box) plain or low fat Silken firm tofu (blending or processing first assures no lumps)
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cups water
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    2 teaspoons baking powder

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 5 x 9" loaf pan. Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in tofu until well combined. Add 1 cup flour and, with mixer on low, mix just until incorporated. Add water and extracts and do the same. End with remaining cup of flour and baking powder. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1-2 minutes. Spoon mixture into pan and lightly smooth the top. Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 55 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to try this. The pound cake sounds amazing by itself!

    ReplyDelete