You will need: 1 - 9" springform pan
- 1 package (2 dozen corn tortillas)
- 1 package (6 oz) Lightlife Smart Strips (chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups Spanish rice (homemade or packaged)
- 12 oz. vegan cheese (I used Daiya combination of Pepper Jack and Cheddar)
- 1 cup of black olives sliced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 scallions thinly sliced, white and green part
- 1-30.5 oz can vegetarian refried beans
- 1-28 oz. can vegan enchilada sauce
- 1-7 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Avocado, or pico de gallo for garnish
Prepare Spanish rice reserving 1 1/2 cups for recipe.
In food processor add your Lightlife chicken strips, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Pulse until spices and chicken are combined and chicken resembles chopped meat. Combine chicken mixture with rice and set aside.
In a medium saucepan combine refried beans and diced green chiles. Cook until heated through.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt vegan margarine. Add flour and stir until the margarine and flour are well combined. Pour in non-daily milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add entire can of green enchilada sauce and stir to combine and thicken. Set aside.
Empty grated vegan cheese into bowl. Add sliced black olives, scallions, and cilantro. Toss to combine.
Lightly spray a 9" springform pan.
Cut a stack of tortillas in half. You will be using both whole and cut tortillas.
Using tongs dredge the cut tortillas in the enchilada sauce and start lining the bottom of the pan. Finish the layer by using one tortilla in the center. Overlap to make sure you have a fairly solid layer.
Spread tortillas with bean mixture, then rice/chicken mixture, and cover with cheese mixture. Repeat layers until the entire pan is filled. Top layer should be tortillas. Use remaining enchilada sauce to cover top layer.
Bake in a 350 F degree oven for 1 hour. Remove and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Spread remaining cheese mixture on top. Garnish with pico de gallo or avocado slices. Remove side springform from pan and slice into wedges. Enjoy!